Thursday, October 16, 2008

Ten for Your Seven: Oct 11

When we started this list several weeks ago, I imagined it would be hard to find enough different songs each week. That was wrong. The issue is way too many good songs. Still, I have folks pitching in watching their specialties and sending along suggestions. This week, Pharaby (the mom) joins the team to give us some blues tunes.

As I warned last week, we're going to run this thing right through every category because I like every category and I think they all have something to recommend them. I suppose the thing that strikes me is that how different these songs are and they're all using the same 12 notes.

So, open up your mind and breathe. We're back this week's Ten for Your Seven, a mix tape for strangers. They'll be featured on our player all week long at yourtexasmusic.

The Animal Cliché Song, Dano

My entire family loves word play and this song is one continuous play with words. I think it works for adults and well as children which is Dano's primary audience. I think I agree with him that grabbing a bull by the horns doesn't really sound like intelligent plan.


The Sick and the Nurse, The Fall Collection

How many songs can we write about being in and out of love? Millions. Will they ever get old? No. Not as long as there are youngsters with guitars falling in and of love. I love the drums on this one.


Runnin' Naked, Greezy Wheels

I wasn't really a hippie, but I am old and I did have long hair and I like the sentiment of this song. The only way to be completely loose and free you gotta be running naked. If you don't run with me I'll find someone who will.


Radar Love, Adrian and the Sickness

I still have the original album for the first version of this song by Golden Earring. Adrian's version works every bit as well. The Moontan cover was scandalous I tell you. Scandalous.


Dusty Bibles Lead to Dirty Lives, Onion Creek Crawdaddies

My Yankee buddy Steve Arkin introduced me to bluegrass for which I will forever be grateful. Just to plug him he used to play for Bill Monroe. Don't know who that is? Look it up. Onion Creek rocks it out similar to Blue Highway/Allison Kraus/Ricky Skaggs.


Rock the Big House Down, the Anti-Simon

This is classic power rock with memorable riffs and rhythmic bass lines on the guitar. Throw in a little organ for emphasis along with some backup singers and you've got a song you can dance to.


Sugar Daddy, Miss Marcy and Her Texas Sugardaddies

Straight rockin' blues--slow and easy. Miss Marcy has that old time sound and its really good. Great voice.


Heaven in Your Arms, My Brave Love

A great country love song by Michele Wismer. She does the singing as well. You probably should catch this while you can because I have a feeling about these folks that they won't stay undiscovered indies.


The Flame, John Pointer

Clean, brilliant guitar work with a rockin' beat. This song has real intensity and movement. Pointer's voice matches the clarity of his guitar work. I love harmonics.


It's a Long Road Home, Deadman

We'll end this on a slow note to send you home safe and happy. I suppose there are worse things to say about a singer than that he sounds like Josh Ritter. Nice contemplative song.

No comments: